Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sweet and Sour Salad

Just to show you we really do eat green things...

I got this recipe from my friend Katie once upon a time. (Not the same Katie as in Katie Bread :) I had it once and was hooked. However, I tend to rely on bagged salads rather than just making my own. The other night I wanted something to go with our crawfish etouffee and this came to mind. I have been reminded how very much I enjoy it. I will be making it again soon!

Sweet and Sour Salad

Salad-
Romaine Lettuce
4 green onions
1 package Ramen Noodles, crumbled (no seasoning)
1 cup walnuts (pieces)
4 tbsp butter

Dressing-
1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil (I use olive but that is my preference...)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a skillet. Brown the Ramen Noodles (yes, crunchy...NOT cooked) and the walnuts in the butter.

Cool on a paper towel.

Mix the Romaine lettuce, the green onions (chopped), the noodles and the walnuts.

Mix dressing ingredients.

You can make them both ahead of time but I wouldn't add the dressing until right before you serve it or you could end up with soggy lettuce. :)

The funny thing is that a year ago, none of my kids would have eaten this. However, we were having crawfish etouffee the other night, with caramel pecan brownies for dessert. They all wanted dessert so two of the kids chose to eat salad instead of the etouffee to hopefully have a brownie later (after being told that a few bites of white rice was not sufficient for a dessert...). They wouldn't say it but I think they might have even enjoyed it. Might.

Happy cooking!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)