Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Green Bean Bundles


Ask me at any point what my least favorite vegetable is. It is a toss up between okra and green beans. The thought of both turns my stomach. Ick.

However, one night a friend (I think it was my friend Tara) brought some green beans to a church social...green bean bundles. I can't say that I eat them still. However, I can tolerate the smell, and they ALMOST look good to me. They look very good to my husband, so that is why I make them on occasion. They also work well for a potluck.

Green Bean Bundles
2 cans whole green beans
1 package bacon
1/2cup brown sugar
3/4 stick of butter
1/2 tsp garlic powder
dash of pepper

Cut the bacon in half (vertically)

Wrap one half a slice of bacon around five or six green beans (thus the "bundle).

Lay in a glass baking dish.

Melt the butter. Add the brown sugar, the garlic powder, and the dash of pepper.

Pour over the top of the green bean bundles.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

These can easily be made ahead, though if possible, I wouldn't pour the butter mixture until you are ready to cook them, though I have done it the other way too.

So far my hubby is the only one who will touch them.

But with most people (who eat veggies), they are quite popular.

I have seen other recipes that are similar or involve putting bacon on top of the beans but this is definitely my husband's preferred recipe.

Oh, since only one in our family eats them, I often halve the recipe. :)

Enjoy!

Happy cooking!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)