Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mostaccioli

Probably the recipe I get the most requests (other than the Molten Lava Cakes) for is mostaccioli. Try saying it. It is just a fun word to say!

This is one of my tried and true recipes. It is easy to make, requires few ingredients, and is a good meal you can make ahead of time. If I am taking a meal to a friend in need, this is a very easy one to make and let them bake when they are ready.

The origins of this recipe: One sweet family, the "H" family brought this meal to me during Teacher Appreciation week one year, ready to bake for dinner. It was love at first bite. Now it is a regular on our family meal rotation.

Here is the recipe:

Mostaccioli

One bag of mostaccioli...look in the pasta section. It is there. I promise. You have probably never noticed it before (or I hadn't). I am showing you a bag of it but not promoting a certain brand. In fact, we typically buy the store brand but didn't this time for whatever reason. The noodles look a lot like penne to me.1 (or more) pounds of ground beef
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
1 jar of alfredo sauce (I use the light)
1 bag of shredded cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)

Directions:
Boil mostaccioli according to package directions. Okay, I don't really read those directions. It takes about 8 minutes I think. I just check a noodle every now and then. When it is done, drain it. Stir in alfredo sauce.

Brown the ground beef. Drain. Mix in spaghetti sauce.

Layer in a casserole dish (9 x 13): noodles on bottom, meat on top. If you put the noodles on top, then they tend to dry out.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. At about the 20 minute mark, take out and top with cheese. Finish baking.

Enjoy!

Here is a picture which does not nearly do it justice. I use light cheese so it doesn't melt as well as the good stuff. :)

Happy cooking!
Reba

4 comments:

  1. I made this tonight for Ryan and a couple of picky brothers and they loved it!! Thanks for sharing...SO yummy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this looks delicious! I will be making it this week... Found you thru Six Sisters link party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so easy and delicious!! Thanks for linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We would love to have you back!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, can you say, "YUM?!" I NEED to make this!

    ReplyDelete

Food for Thought (Comments)