Monday, March 28, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Soup

I got this recipe from an intern a few (or more :) years ago. Since then, it has become a family favorite.

Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 pound chicken breasts/tenderloins (I do use a little more than a pound...we like meat)

4 cans cream of chicken soup

1 carton half and half (I use the pint)

1 pint milk

1 pound Mexican Velveeta, cut into smaller pieces

1 can Rotel

salt and chili powder to taste

Boil the chicken breasts then cut into small pieces.

Add all ingredients to a crockpot. (Like I have said, we use the crockpot liners...saves SO much time in clean up) Stir often and cook until heated through. I often leave it on high for a couple of hours. Really, this could be ready REALLY fast if it weren't for the Velveeta...that takes a while to melt. And melting it in the microwave before adding it to the soup does NOT work. Trust me.

We serve over Fritos.

Other Confessions: I try to be careful with calories/fat. So I use the 99% fat free cream of chicken soup, 1 pound 2% Velveeta (I cannot get it like that in Mexican, so I use plain), and the FAT FREE half and half. I am sure it is a little better with all of the fat, but I will say we love my reduced fat version. Then I don't feel so bad when I pour it over a handful of Fritos!

This recipe is pretty easy and really yummy on a cool night (which it is tonight here). It is also quite tasty reheated. I only have one child who isn't crazy about this...it is the tomatoes that she protests. Otherwise, they (including one very picky eater) eat it up.

Enjoy!
Reba

1 comment:

  1. This has become one of our facorite recipes. And Rudy will eat every part of it - including the tomatoes- just because it is in the soup!

    ReplyDelete

Food for Thought (Comments)