Thursday, March 24, 2011

Poppy Seed Chicken

I know that this meal/casserole is probably one most people already have a recipe for...it is a great meal for a potluck. But I wanted to share just in case you don't have your own version. I don't make it very often but when I do, they eat it up. The WHOLE family.

Poppy Seed Chicken

4 boneless chicken breasts (I use tenderloins and probably do a bit more just to make sure we have enough)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I do use the low fat)
8 oz. sour cream (again, I use low fat)
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers (I just use a sleeve, crush them while in the sleeve, then pour onto the casserole)
1/2 stick butter
1 1/2 tsp poppy seed (I don't measure, I just sprinkle what I want)

First, boil the chicken until cooked through. Then chop. I just take the chicken out of the pot and put it in my casserole dish. I use kitchen scissors to cut it into small pieces right there in the dish.

Mix the soup and the sour cream. Heat together, then pour over the top. I honestly don't always heat it first. It is going in the oven anyway...

Next, pour the Ritz cracker crumbs over the top of the casserole.

Melt the butter and pour over the top. Then add the poppy seeds. Okay, I think I usually add the poppy seeds before the butter. I don't think it matters. Either way, don't take a random drug test in the next few days after eating poppy seeds!

Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350.

Enjoy!

We usually have wild rice, bread, and sometimes a salad with it.

Hunter insisted on "plating" his so I could have it for my photo collection. I think we probably watch too many cooking shows around here. :)
I really should make this more often. It is yummy. It is easy to make. (You can make it ahead of time and refrigerate until cooking time) And my family loves it. What more could I ask for?

Happy cooking!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)