Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cheese Stuffed Chicken

A few months ago a friend of my mine (Michelle) posted a chicken recipe on her Facebook page. The recipe actually called for creating a cheese mixture to stuff inside of the chicken. But my friend Michelle wisely advised, "You can use Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese instead."

Oh. Simple. I like simple!

The first time I did this recipe, I used tenderloins. Just for the record, those are way too small to get much cheese inside. :)

So, I strongly advise using chicken breasts.

I just use the big bag of frozen ones (thawed of course). Much cheaper.

Here is the recipe.
Cheese Stuffed Chicken
(The original recipe from myrecipes.com calls it Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Garlic and Herbed Goat Cheese...I just call it cheese stuffed chicken)

Slit one side of the chicken breasts (I use 6 typically). "Stuff" with a wedge of Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb cheese. (You may have to spread it slightly inside the "pocket".) This stuff is "light" which is even better!

Sprinkle (liberally) both sides of the chicken with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I have used just plain salt and pepper but will admit, I like the kosher and fresh better.

Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a large skillet. Brown chicken for 3 minutes on each side. Turn carefully so you don't lose the cheese. :)

Sprinkle the chicken with seasoned bread crumbs. That was not in the original recipe, but several people commented on the original recipe that they liked it better that way and I agree.

Move to the oven and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cooked through.Here is the chicken all together in the skillet. I forgot to take a picture once it was plated. :)

Confession...I used to cook them in the skillet then move them to a baking dish for the oven. One day I researched my skillet and found it can go in the oven up to like 450 degrees. Much easier to do it that way. Fewer dishes to clean and it stays in a hot pan. Just remember to use an oven mitt when you grab the handle to take it out!

I really like this chicken. The cheese just gives it the right amount of flavor. Yum.

Everybody here ate it...no complaints.

Oh, I served wild rice, green bean bundles (recipe coming soon), and herbed bread "knots" with it.

Happy cooking!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)