Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sour Cream/Panko Chicken

I had a very busy day. Not necessarily productive but busy.

This morning, I (along with three helpful children) made homemade donut holes. We had quite an assembly line. I cut the biscuits into fourths. The four year old rolled them into balls. The 10 year old fried them in a pot of oil (using tongs :) because I hadn't cleaned the Fry Daddy. And the 7 year old added the toppings. The 13 year old just ate them. He is into sleeping in these days.

Anyway, tonight I decided to try a new recipe. I had spotted a recipe (probably via Pinterest) that looked good for Oma's Sour Cream Chicken. It looked like something we would like; I have made some similar recipes but not quite like this. I also had seen a recipe for Parmesan Crusted Chicken. So I played around with the recipes, combining the best of both worlds. Okay, I left out the Parmesan which would be in the best world. I was trying to watch calories today or I would have added them. :)

Ingredients:
Chicken breasts or tenderloins (I used about 1.5 lbs of tenderloins)
salt, pepper, garlic powder
8 oz. sour cream (yes, I used light :)
1 cup of Italian Panko breadcrumbs
4 tbsp butter cut up

Sidenote: Hubby and I really aren't sure how we went our whole lives without knowing about Panko. They are like "breadcrumbs" but with some crunch.

Directions:
Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Put the chicken on a cookie sheet or in a glass dish. I started with the cookie sheet but had trouble with the next step (spreading sour cream) so I switched to a glass dish which contained them better.

Spread the sour cream over the top of the chicken.

Sprinkle the Italian Panko on top.

Place small pieces of butter over the top. (I think next time I might melt it ahead of time to cover more area...)

Bake at 375 for about 35 minutes (that was for tenderloins...I would guess longer for chicken breasts).

Enjoy!

It was quite a hit. We had only one small piece left. My four year old downed it like nobody's business.

The best part? It was easy. Quick. Simple. And delicious.

That is my kind of recipe.

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)