Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pumpkin Cake

This is one dessert I don't make very often. It isn't that it is that complicated. Or that I don't want to. It is rather that I would eat it every day of my life if I could. And my waist certainly doesn't need that! So I typically make it once or twice each fall and then dream about it the rest of the year.

Oh, this recipe came from my co-worker Patti B. She made it for a faculty "reception" or something. I was hooked on the first bite. It is now a family favorite. I am sure with pumpkin in it, it has to be at least a little healthy. Right? :)


Cake-
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cocoa
3 tsp cinnamon

1 1/2 cups pumpkin (which is basically one regular can of pumpkin)

Directions:
Mix sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla together well. I use my mixer to make sure it mixes well.

Sift flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa, and cinnamon together. Add to the first mixture.

Add pumpkin.

Pour into prepare angel food pan or bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Caramel Sauce-
And yes, this is probably my very favorite part...
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Melt butter in a small saucepan and add sugar. Cook until sugar is dissolved. Add evaporated milk and vanilla. Serve hot over cake.

Enjoy!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)