Thursday, October 25, 2012

Meatball Sandwiches


I made Meatball Sub Casserole one night which was very good.  Yet when I saw a slightly different version (Meatball Sandwiches) on Pinterest, I thought I would try that too.  Because honestly, how could you not like something with meatballs, bread, and sauce? :)

So earlier this week, I decided to give it a try.

I did make my own meatballs but I am sure store bought meatballs would work too.

And due to the changes in diet for one of our kiddos, I made our own "tomato"/ spaghetti sauce (which actually has no tomatoes in it but you would never know...e-mail me if you want the recipe :).

I didn't make the buns though.

Ingredients:

Cooked Meatballs (Here is the recipe I use...I didn't make the gravy)

Pasta Sauce

Buns (The original recipe uses a bun split only on one side; I actually used a hoagie instead and would do that again...with a modification. I will share that in a minute :)

Shredded Mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Spray a cookie sheet. (Note:  I forgot to spray and really wished I had!)

Place meatballs in a sauce pan.  Cover with sauce.   Heat over low/medium heat, gently stirring.  Don't stir too much or you will break up the meatballs.

Here is my hint that I learned AFTER we ate this...it was SO good but the buns were a little soggy from the meatballs.  Take the buns, spread a little butter on them, and toast them on a skillet to make them crispy and better able to hold up against the meatballs/sauce.

Place a few meatballs on the buns, spooning an extra sauce over the top.

Sprinkle generously the mozzarella cheese over the top.

Top with the top part of the bun (if using a hoagie).

Bake until the cheese is hot, bubbly, and melted (not too long :).

Enjoy!

I will definitely make these again, making sure to toast the buns this next time.  Other than the soggy bread, it was YUMMY.

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)