Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Meatballs and Gravy


This summer, we (me and three) visited my sister for a week. One night she made meatballs and gravy, then served it over rice. One daughter is picky, so she went more for the rice, but the other two (along with me) LOVED the meal. And I have been determined to make it ever since.

Well, sure enough, there is the recipe in our family cookbook, passed down from my mom. And finally this weekend, I had a chance to make it.

I am going to give you the whole recipe, though I have to confess something. My sister suggested a shortcut which comes in handy for those days you just don't have time to roll out meatballs. Schwann's meatballs. And lucky me, our school just had a Schwann's fundraiser, so I was able to get a couple of bags. But if I had had time, I would have made the meatballs.

Meatball Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 cup crushed crackers (I am thinking Ritz would be good)
1 tbsp minced onion
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

Gravy Ingredients:
1-2 cans cream of mushroom soup (depending on how much gravy you want)
1 package brown gravy mix
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp minced onion
1/8 tsp garlic powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all meatball ingredients together and form meatballs.

Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Drain and place in a layer in a casserole dish.

Drop oven temperature to 325 degrees.

Mix all gravy ingredients together and pour over meatballs in casserole dish.

Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour at 325.

Good served over white rice, beef flavored rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles.

We had ours over white rice. Yum.

Happy cooking!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)