Thursday, June 7, 2012

Smores Bars


I love Smores, but we do not go camping very often. And we do not have an outdoor fire pit.  So other than an occasional "smore" made over candlelight in the winter, I don't get to indulge very often.

Since I am trying to lose weight, that may be for the best.

Until Pinterest.

Someone posted a picture of "smores bars".  I followed the link and found a not too difficult recipe. 

Darn.

Now I had to try them.

So this morning, Child 4 joined me in making this dessert.  It was his turn to cook with me. He had suggested brownies, but thankfully, he is still easily swayed.  I suggested this recipe instead.  And that is what we made.

I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

I typically can stay away from sweets fairly well.  Usually one small piece, and I am good.

Except for some reason, with this dessert, I wasn't. 

I kept going back to nibble.  And nibble.  And nibble.

I finally put a plea on FB (half in jest, mostly not :) asking for someone to take it off my hands.

A sweet friend offered.

The children nearly wept until I showed them I was keeping one piece for each of them. 

The rest went home with my friend's husband.

Otherwise I might have been in and out of the kitchen all night, totally negating this whole weight loss thing I am trying to do.

However, there are still four pieces in there...

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature (Okay, I never remember to pull it out in time, and didn't this time either.  But it worked.  I used Blue Bonnet Light in hopes it would save me a few calories :)

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/3 cups all purpose flour

3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (I used about 5 or 6 whole crackers which was just about what I needed...child 4 then got to use his muscles to "pound" them into crumbs with a meat tenderizer...)

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

2 king size milk chocolate bars...I used the one and only Hershey's

marshmallow creme fluff (NOT melted marshmallows)...the recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups. I didn't bother measuring. I just made a layer of it, using almost all of the Fluff container


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease an 8 x 8 pan.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light.  That is probably easier if you remember to have your butter at room temperature. :)

Beat in egg and vanilla.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt.

Pour into butter mixture and mix on a low speed.

Divide dough in half.  Press half of it into the bottom of the baking dish.  I spooned out half of it, then used parchment paper to "press" the dough which won't seem very "doughy" so it wouldn't stick.

Place the chocolate bars side by side to create a layer. I had to break a little of one of the bars to get it to fit.

Next layer the marshmallow fluff. After reading suggestions by others, I dipped a frosting spreader in hot water before dipping into the marshmallow fluff.  It helped a LOT in keeping it from sticking to the spreader.  And it spread pretty well!

Finally, put the remaining dough on top. I again just spooned what was left on top of the fluff. Then I used the parchment paper to spread it out.

Bake for 30-35 minutes (until browned).  Cool before cutting.

I did NOT refrigerate the leftovers since it was all cooked. I just covered and left it out.  Unfortunately that is what led to the snacking...yum.

Happy cooking!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)