Monday, June 18, 2012

Butter Cream Chicken

We have actually have had this recipe twice now.  I don't know why I didn't blog about it the first time because we loved it then, and we loved it again last week.  Maybe because my gravy wasn't as thick as I thought it should be.  Or my camera wasn't on hand.  Or the stars weren't aligned.  Who knows.

Last week I was trying to figure out the menu. I needed a good chicken recipe.  My husband came in and offered to help me think of one.  He had one in mind but I couldn't remember which recipe it was. So we scrolled through Pinterest together until we found this recipe under my "Tried and True". 

So I made it this past week.

And I made what I thought was plenty.

Except apparently it wasn't.

There was NONE left.

I almost started crying when I realized that.

None.

I really had hoped for a little bit for my lunch the next day.

My family has already told me that next time I must make more.

Yes, it is that good.

It is a little time consuming but worth it.  I promise.

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts (I used my usual chicken tenderloins...they are so easy to cut to me)

1 1/2 sleeves Ritz crackers (I used low fat), ground into crumbs.  I usually throw them in a bag and pound them with a mallet. This time I threw them in my mini food processor.  Oh wow. How did I not know how easy that was???

Olive Oil

1 cup chicken broth

4 Tbsp butter (I did use my Smart Balance since it is lighter)

1 cup + 2 Tbsp half and half (I used the light)

1/2 tsp dried thyme

2 Tbsp cornstarch

salt and pepper


Directions:
Cut the chicken into small chunks (much easier with kitchen scissors).  Place in a plastic ziplock and pound flat with a mallet or whatever you have on hand like canned food.  Just so you know, I am pretty sure pounding with a mallet is therapeutic.  


Put the cracker crumbs in the ziplock bag with the chicken and shake your cares away (while coating the chicken).

I usually add a little salt and pepper at this point, all two times I have made it and all. :)

Add about 5 Tbsp of olive oil to a large skillet and heat on medium high.

When the oil is nice and hot, throw the first batch of chicken into the skillet.  I did two batches for this meal. I should have done three.

Cook until the bottom is a nice golden brown color.  Then flip the chicken over.  That should be about 3-4 minutes each side.  Obviously, when you are working with chicken, you don't want any pink.

After the first batch is done (I put mine on a plate with a paper towel to absorb any extra oil so that it doesn't end up on my hips...), add a little more oil and cook the second batch in the same manner.

After that batch is done, cover with aluminum foil.  Now it is time for the sauce.

Add the butter and the chicken broth to the skillet.  Don't worry about any little extra crispies on the bottom. They just add flavor to the gravy.

Whisk the mixture around a bit.

Add 1 cup half and half and the dried thyme.  Whisk around.  Bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add the 2 Tbsp half and half and the 2 Tbsp cornstarch.  Stir together until smooth. 

Pour the cornstarch mixture into the skillet and whisk around.

Let it come to a boil again.

When it is thick enough, add a little salt and pepper to taste and serve with the chicken.

The only trouble I had making this recipe was getting my gravy to thicken.  I kind of wonder if it is because I use all light ingredients.  To solve this, hubby and I just threw in a little more cornstarch to thicken it up.

The only change I may make is next time I may try making the gravy in a small saucepan while cooking the chicken and adding it to the skillet at the very end.  That way my chicken will still be hot, and the gravy will have more time to thicken.  I don't know if that will work but it is worth a try.

Regardless, it is good stuff.

We ate it with brown rice, salad, and cheesy breadsticks.

And like I said, there was none left.

None.

Reba

1 comment:

Food for Thought (Comments)