Saturday, May 5, 2012

Homemade Hamburger Buns


One day on Pinterest, I found a recipe for homemade hamburger buns.

Homemade.

That thought had never crossed my mind.

But I checked the recipe out and it looked not too hard.

I have really been making an effort to use fresher products, make more of my own food (trying to cut out processed when possible), though I wouldn't say I am a zealot or anything.

So last week we were having hamburgers, and I thought, "I want to give this a try..."

I was a little nervous.  I am just learning some techniques for making bread.

The one thought I had was "Well, the grocery store is just down the road if I fail..."

But guess what?

I didn't!

In fact, they were pretty darn good.

I definitely will make them again.

Not every time.

In fact, we are having sloppy joe's this week, and I just bought some store bought buns. I just don't have the time to do anything else.

But when I can, I want to make these.

Warning though:  They are quite filling.  I think my husband only ate one burger because he felt so full with that bun...

Oh, I followed the original recipe very closely, but did add the sesame seed part at the very end after checking out a few other recipes.

Ingredients:
1 egg
7/8 cup milk
4 1/2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour (or bread flour...I just used plain all purpose)
1 tbsp yeast (rapid rise or bread machine yeast)
1 egg white
sesame seeds

Directions:
Put the egg, milk, butter, sugar, salt, flour, and yeast in a bread machine.

Set the bread machine to the dough setting.

I think mine took 1 hour 20 minutes.

Remove from the machine and punch down.

Divide into 7-9 equal size portions.

Let rest for about 5 minutes.

Shape into balls then press down to make "patties".

Place the "patties" on a baking sheet.  Cover loosely with clear wrap.  Let them sit for about 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Brush top of patties with a beaten egg white, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool a bit then slice in two.

Enjoy!

Reba



No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)