Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chunky Avocado Salsa


Yes, another Pinterest recipe. What can I say? I am addicted. :) 

The funny thing is I wouldn't describe myself as a risk-taker but for some reason, with food, I am much more willing to try new things...

Anywho.

I LOVE avocado (if you haven't figured that out). So I figure any dip with avocado has to be good.

And this was.

Warning:  It makes a lot!

I followed the original recipe fairly closely.  I have noted any changes below.

Ingredients:
1 medium tomato (I totally cheated and used a can of already chopped tomatoes...if I cheated like that again, I would use petite diced because I don't like my tomatoes too chunky)

2 avocados

1 cup sweet white corn (I just used a can)

1 bunch of green onions (I actually used about half)

1 can black beans, washed and drained

garlic salt

parsley

tapatio (hot) sauce (to taste)

Directions:
Place corn and rinsed black beans in a bowl and mix together.  Dice tomatoes (unless you cheated like I did) and onions and add.  Add garlic salt, parsley, and tapatio sauce to taste.  Add avocado last. Even if you make ahead, I would let it sit in the fridge but not add the avocado until right before time to eat.  Otherwise, it will turn mushy and brown...

 Side Note:  If you are not taking this to a gathering where it will be all eaten, I would NOT add the avocado to the whole bowl, just to the portion you would be eating that day.  I really wanted to eat the leftovers today (two days after I made it) but the avocado was not very appealing at this point.   Lesson learned. This would be a good, though not so low cal, salsa to have around. 

I did eat it with baked Tostitos.  :)

Yum!

Reba


1 comment:

  1. I love avocados too! This sounds like something I might try. I would suggest squeezing a little lime or even lemon juice on the avocados, that keeps them from turning brown. BTW, love your blog, Lots of new recipes for me to try. :)

    ReplyDelete

Food for Thought (Comments)