Sunday, April 22, 2012

Salisbury Steak

Another Pinterest recipe.

I really do find recipes other places.

But Pinterest is an easy place to find them. Mainly because of the visuals. The pictures. The photos (usually done by much better photographers than I am :). The ones that make my mouth water.

Like this one.

I know Salisbury steak is a familiar recipe to most. I have eaten it (once upon a time). I have heard of it. But I have never made it.

So I was inspired.

I had to preface this with my kids that it is not TRULY a steak. It is more like the meatballs and gravy that I make. It is ground beef.

Except it isn't exactly.

The meat is similar.

But the sauce. Oh, the sauce.

Good stuff.

I am not sure I really needed the meat. I could have just had the sauce and some mashed potatoes (which I whipped up to go with this) and been a happy camper.

Apparently it was well-liked...not one single bit left over.

Not a bite.

So, here is the recipe. I followed the original pretty closely. I just made a couple small adjustments...

Ingredients:
1 can French onion soup

1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I usually use 93%/7%)

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (I used Panko because that is what I had on hand :)

1 egg

1/4 tsp salt (I don't really measure anymore since I "freshly" grind it...I just estimate)

1/8 tsp pepper (again, I don't measure...I just grind peppercorn)

1 tbsp flour

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup water

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp mustard powder

Directions:
In a bowl, mix together 1/3 cup of the French onion soup, the ground beef, the bread crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper. I just put some gloves and just "kneaded it" all together.

Shape into patties. I made 6.

In a large skillet, brown both sides of the patties over medium high heat. Drain excess fat (though I rarely have any).

Blend flour and remaining soup until smooth in a separate bowl. Add ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder.

Pour over patties in the skillet.

Cover.

Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Enjoy.

Very good with mashed potatoes.

Make extra gravy. It is good stuff.

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)