Saturday, April 28, 2012

Frito Pie


Earlier this week I was in the mood for some "light" Mexican food.  I remembered seeing a recipe on Pinterest for Baked Frito Pie.  That sounded good to me.  It is one of my guilty pleasures from Sonic that I allow myself to have about once every 10 years.  I am not saying that making it at home (baking it) makes it low calorie...it doesn't.  And with Fritos in it, I knew it wouldn't. But I am betting it is lower cal than I could get elsewhere...

I followed the recipe for the most part, just eliminating one ingredient that I knew my family would balk at.

It was easy.  Good.  And fairly quick.

All good components for a meal at our house. :)

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef, browned  (I used 1 1/2 because that is what size the package was)

1 can chili beans

1 can (8 oz, though I used a little more) tomato sauce

1 can diced tomatoes (that is the ingredient I left out...my crew balks at tomato pieces)

1 envelope taco seasoning (I don't think I used a whole one but I can't remember...a whole one would be good though)

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used a Monterey and cheddar block, freshly shredded)

1 1/4 cup sour cream (I just used an 8 oz container of light sour cream)

3 1/2 cups Fritos

Directions:
After browning the beef, drain.  Add the tomato sauce, taco seasoning, beans, and tomatoes (if using), and 1/4 cup shredded cheese.  Mix. 

Sprinkle part of the Fritos on the bottom of a baking dish (size depending on how much you are making).

Cover with the meat mixture.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven.

Spread sour cream over meat mixture. 

Top with remaining Fritos and cheese.

Return to the oven for another 5 minutes or so.

Enjoy!

Hubby was out of town, so I didn't get his opinion.  Most of the kids ate it.  Some are picky about "Mexican" flavors. I personally loved it.

Reba



No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)