Friday, April 20, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Parmesan




I have mentioned a few times that food photography is not my thing.

So again, I apologize for the photos.

They weren't staged in anyway (obviously). I was just trying to get food on the table so we could eat. My phone camera was handy, so I just snapped a quick pic or two and then sat down to eat.

I saw this recipe on Pinterest and have been wanting to try it.

I want to preface this by saying it isn't a true chicken parmesan, or at least what you would get at a restaurant.

It is a crockpot recipe after all.

But it was good food. The chicken was tender, and with the sauce and cheese...well, it was just good food.

I will be making it again.

Ingredients:
Chicken breasts (I used 6 due to family size, but I did have to stack in the crockpot)

salt and pepper (to taste, about 1/4 tsp)

1/4-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (I used freshly shredded because that is what I like)

1 egg, beaten

1 jar spaghetti sauce (the original recipe used marinara)

1/2-1 cup Italian breadcrumbs (I used Panko because that is what I had...the Italian version. Oh, and the variation in measurement is related to how much chicken you are using)

1 tbsp olive oil

Mozzarella cheese (amount depends on how cheese you want it)- I actually used provolone. I have found that it melts better than mozzarella and I had some on hand I needed to use up :)

Directions:
Spread the olive oil on the bottom of the crockpot (or for me, the crockpot liner).

Beat egg with a fork or a whisk in a bowl.

In another bowl, mix salt, pepper, bread crumbs, and Parmesan.

Dip chicken in the beaten egg, then in the bread crumb mixture. Place chicken in the crockpot.

Cover the chicken with the cheese (Mozzarella or Provolone in my case :).

Pour spaghetti sauce (or marinara sauce) over the chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.

I did top with a little more shredded Parmesan, just because you can never have too much Parmesan...

We ate it over angel hair pasta and with garlic bread. We would have had a salad if my salad stuff hadn't gone bad...

Good stuff.

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)