Friday, September 2, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Dip

(Don't let the picture/visual mislead you...it was good stuff)

A friend of mine (Brandi) posted a recipe on Facebook not long ago. It just sounded so very good to me. I decided it would be a perfect Friday night dinner...light and yummy. Plus it is a crockpot recipe so it got bonus points before I even made it.

Here is her recipe. I made a couple of changes, just because I have a picky family.

Ingredients:
package frozen corn (my family would have balked...I used a can of kidney beans instead)
3 frozen chicken breasts
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 jar of salsa (I used my homemade salsa)
1 box of cream cheese (I use the light)

Directions:
1. In a crockpot, layer the frozen corn, 3 frozen chicken breasts, can of black beans, and jar of salsa. Of course, I used my favorite crockpot liners.
2. Cook on high for 4 hours. I had to cook mine for about six due to timing with my lunch break, so I set it to low. By the time I got home, my chicken was cooked.
3. Remove chicken and shred. Return to crockpot. I didn't actually do a whole lot of shredding...I probably should have. But it worked out okay.
4. Add box of cream cheese. Stir. I did this about 20 minutes before we ate.

Brandi had recommended serving individual bowls and throwing some chips on the table. I did just that. I put out some Fritos and baked Tostitos. Then we ate it like a dip.

Yum.

It was exactly what I wanted tonight. Like a snack but a little more. Good flavor. The chicken was just so tender. Even my picky kids ate it (though one wouldn't touch a bean).

I think it would be delicious in a tortilla or over rice too.

One kiddo has already asked when we can have it again.

It won't be tomorrow. There were hardly any leftovers!

Happy cooking.
Reba

Sidenote: Today (Nov. 11, 2011) I made this for dinner. I didn't have kidney beans or frozen corn (which they won't eat anyway) so I used a can of blackeye peas for the first layer (then black beans later). Delicious. They all ate it. My oldest didn't even realize it had blackeye peas in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)