Monday, September 5, 2011

Potato Fans


Not the best picture quality but you get the idea.

Recently on Pinterest (which is VERY addictive...be warned), someone posted a picture of potato fans (which have other names like "armadillo potatoes"). However, when I clicked on the picture, it was a private blog so I couldn't get the recipe. By then my interest was piqued. I always love a good potato. So I decided to do a little research (also called "google"). I found a few recipes then decided to combine them to make my own.

One thing I learned from perusing different recipes is that you can really top these potatoes with anything you want.

Here is what we used (no specific amounts):
6 yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
olive oil (I didn't measure but I am thinking about 1/4 cup...many recipes recommended butter but I prefer olive oil)
rosemary (just sounded good to me...no exact measurement)
3 garlic cloves diced (or if you are feeling lazy, chopped with a food chopper)
salt and pepper to taste (I used sea salt and freshly ground black pepper)
cheddar cheese
bacon bits

I also threw in some bread crumbs, since several recipes had recommended them. Maybe mine were too fine. I don't know. I just know I could have done without them. (I actually left one potato without much cheese and bacon...the olive oil and the garlic/salt/pepper/rosemary were good enough for me :)

Directions:
Make several cuts across the potato, cutting almost to the bottom but not all the way. Several people recommended using a skewer through the bottom or wooden spoons on the side of the potato to stop the knife when slicing...I just did it on my own. I only had two that cut all the way through.

Use a basting brush to brush the olive oil/spices mixture over the tops of the potatoes, getting in between slices when possible.

Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes. (I would check for tenderness)

Pull potatoes out.

Sprinkle cheddar cheese and bacon bits (however much you want) and bread crumbs if you want them across the top.

Return to the oven for a few minutes more.

I did cut back the oven temp about 20 minutes into it because I had something else to cook too. I just kept checking tenderness.

I saw a wide range of oven temps and times as I perused recipes...even a recipe or two for the microwave.

Regardless (or is it irregardless?), my house smelled like garlic roasting. It was just...fragrant. Really. And for those who eat potatoes in our household, they were well-received.

I will be making again!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)