Saturday, September 1, 2012

Personal Pan Pizza



I am always craving pizza.

Always.

We used to eat it about once a week.

Now it is rare for us to go out for any.

However, I usually make one at home or make a pizza grilled cheese.

And on a rare occasion, we order one from my favorite Chicago pizzeria. 

Tonight my big boys are the Razorback football game. I needed an easy dinner for us to all enjoy.

Of course, pizza came to mind. :)

My kids LOVE making their own pizzas. We do that on occasion.  But typically we use those little individual crusts from the store. However, those are a bit on the expensive side.

Recently on Pinterest someone suggested using Rhodes dinner rolls as little pizza crusts.

Bingo.

I keep those frozen dough balls in my freezer.

In fact, I like the Rhodes Texas dinner rolls. They are slightly bigger.

So this afternoon, I took a few out and let them thaw as I napped.  (It is Saturday after a long week of school...I needed to snooze)

Tonight, we all rolled out our roll flat.  Then we brushed on olive oil and added our toppings.  My kids mainly added sauce, cheese, and pepperoni.  I made mine like I do the big ones...White Cheese (light ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, and feta with a few sprinkles of Italian seasoning and basil).

After you have "decorated", bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

My one piece of advice is to use little squares of parchment paper. Sprinkle or mist with olive oil and then let your child work with his/her dough on that. Then you can just drop it onto the cookie sheet to bake.  Our biggest issue was moving the pizza over to the cookie sheet without messing up their pizzas. :)

It was fun and a much easier (and cheaper) way to make pizza. I will say that even the Texas roll doesn't make a HUGE pizza. So if you have teens, you might let them make a few...

Happy cooking!
Reba



No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)