Monday, September 3, 2012

Oreo Cupcakes




My daughter has a sweet tooth.  (The older one)  She LOVES sweets. Always has. One of my favorite pictures of her is from her toddler days. She is standing at the kitchen counter on a stool, her mouth covered in chocolate (from Hershey's kisses I think).

Just in the past year she has become a little baker.  Well, not so little anymore. She is 11. But she is always my little girl no matter how old she is. :)

At first it started with the Easy Bake Oven.  Then she moved on to cake mixes or brownie mixes. Now she is venturing out and trying out recipes.

Recently this daughter read a book from a series called The Cupcake Diaries.  She found a basic cupcake recipe and has created a couple of cupcakes using it.

This past weekend, I decided to take a nap. I had picked up a package of Oreos for her at her request. When I got up from my nap a couple hours later, I found the plates above.  Oreo cupcakes.

I posted a pic on FB and had requests for the recipe.

I am going to share the basic recipe with a couple additions.  However, since I haven't been with my daughter when she makes it, I cannot guarantee it is precisely what she does. I think she is a "try a little of this" kind of cook.  She has mentioned that sometimes she will add more sugar or vanilla than the recipe calls for.  So who knows what her final recipe actually includes.

Either way, it is good stuff!  Especially if you like Oreos. :)

Ingredients:
Cupcake batter

1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup whole milk (except we NEVER have whole milk so she has to use what we have...1%)
Crushed Oreos (I have no exact measurements. I know she didn't use a whole package because we have a few left. And she saved a few for the frosting.  So maybe half a package?

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 with the rack in the middle of the oven.

Line muffin tin with cupcake liners (12 cupcakes).

Beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy with electric mixer.

Add eggs one at a time.

Blend in the vanilla.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, beating at a low speed. Alternate with the milk.  Beat until the batter has no lumps.

Add in the crushed Oreos.  Beat until thoroughly mixed.

Evenly fill the muffin tins.  Bake for about 18-20 minutes.  Use a toothpick to check if they are done or not (if it comes out clean other than the Oreos :)

Remove from oven when done.  Place on a wire rack to cool.

Ingredients for Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar (it is supposed to be sifted but I don't think she knows how to do that so I am guessing hers wasn't :)
1/3 cup whole milk (again, she used 1%)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (she said she sometimes adds more vanilla and powdered sugar :)
crushed Oreos (just a few)

Directions:
Mix the butter until it looks fluffy (using an electric mixer).

Add in the sugar, alternating with the milk and vanilla until is it blended.

Add in the Oreos.  (Dear Daughter also said she might just sprinkle them on top next time because it is HARD to spread with the Oreos IN the frosting).

Frost.

Daughter just used a knife and a decorator pump to do this, though she really wants to practice piping.

A little mini Oreo on top in the middle would be really cute.

It is good stuff.

Enjoy!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)