Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup

So sorry to be missing in action. We have been having some "tried and true" recipes. That and I started dieting. :( Or at least watching my calories. So I haven't really had much to share though I think I am behind with some recipes.

But I do have one recipe to share for the week. Chicken Noodle Soup.
I think I mentioned that once a week, the "child of the week" gets to plan and help me cook a meal. So far every child has chosen "new" recipe.

This week was Child 3's week. She got a cookbook called Picture Me Cooking for Christmas. The book has recipes and a place to put a picture of your child cooking that food. So last week, in anticipation of cooking this week, Child 3 pulled out her cookbook and immediately found a recipe for Noodle Soup.

I try to be really careful with copyright material, but honestly, this is a pretty generic recipe, so I am going to share it.

Oh, we (or rather I) decided it would be chicken noodle soup, not just noodle soup.

By the way, this was a first for me. I had never made chicken noodle soup.

Ingredients:
6 chicken tenderloins

2 quarts chicken stock (I used fat free)

3 cups vegetable stock (which is REALLY hard to find around here and is a bit pricey)

1 tsp chicken bouillon (I just used a bouillon cube)

1/2 cup chopped carrot (I just chopped up some "baby" carrots)

celery (optional...we opted out :)

1 to 1 1/2 cups noodles of your choice. We just used a whole bag of some kind of egg noodle.

Directions:
Boil chicken tenderloins, then cut into small pieces/shred.

Put vegetable stock, chicken stock, bouillon, and vegetables in a large pot.

Bring to a boil.

Add noodles.

Cook for 10-15 minutes or until noodles are tender.

Add chicken and simmer until ready to eat.

Enjoy!

It was really good.

The only change I would make would be to get lower sodium stock. It was too salty for me.

This was a very kid friendly recipe. I chopped carrots but for the most part, dear daughter added everything to the pot.

Oh, we had grilled cheese rolls with it.

We will have it again. :)

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)