Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cheesy Mashed Potato Bake

I really want to give someone credit for this recipe, but I honestly don't remember who gave it to me. It isn't anywhere on the printed page I have. So if it was you, name yourself. :) I may have found it online too. I just don't know.

I have been looking for a good mashed potato recipe. I like mashed potatoes but I am kind of particular about them. I don't like them runny, want a little flavor, but don't want to have to depend on gravy either.

So for whatever reason, I have this recipe. And tonight we were having a ham steak and black eye peas. We needed mashed potatoes. I decided to try this. So glad I did. It was just what I was looking for. Yum.

Ingredients:
3 lbs. boiling potatoes. I used Yukon gold. Oh, they should be peeled.
4 tbsp butter
8 oz sour cream (I used light)
8 ounces cheddar cheese (I used 2%, sharp shredded)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
freshly ground pepper

Cut potatoes into 1 1/2 inch cubes (I just cut them into small pieces. I didn't take time to cube...

Add potatoes to a 4 quart pot and fill with cold water. Bring to a boil. Add salt. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.

Sidenote: I couldn't put all five pounds of potatoes in my pot, though I got most of it. And I didn't simmer. I just boiled the potatoes until tender.

As soon as the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander.

Place the 4 tbsp of butter in the bottom of a mixing bowl. Add potatoes. Beat with a mixer for 2 minutes. Then add sour cream, half of the cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper. Beat until creamy.

Pour (spoon) mixture into greased baking dish (9 x 13). Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and serve.

Sidenote: I just did the freshly ground pepper as THE pepper in the mashed potatoes. If I use too much, my family protests.

Enjoy!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)