Saturday, June 22, 2013

Texas Roadhouse Rolls


The other night I was in the mood to try a new roll recipe to go with some pork chops and potatoes.  I perused my Pinterest "Rolling in Dough" files and found this one. I thought, "Why not?

Ironically I started making a lot of our breads and rolls for our food sensitive child, and it turns out he isn't a big bread kid.  But Hubby says he is appreciative anyway.

And appreciate these?  He sure did.

He doesn't always comment on my bread products (he is hit and miss with breads whereas I could eat bread all day if it didn't increase my hip size :) but this one he made a point to tell me he liked. A lot.  In fact, we indulged...we each had a whole one then went back for another one (which we ended up sharing).  I have since had them warmed up and love them just as much as the first day I had them.  I prefer mine with a little bit of butter; Hubby says that isn't even necessary.

It is a yeast bread so it does take a little planning and time.

But they are so worth it!

Note:  Like the author of the blog I found this recipe on (link above), I also cut the recipe in half...it made plenty.

Ingredients:
2 tsp active dry yeast (I used instant)

1/4 cup warm water

1 cup milk, scalded then cooled (I learned to scald milk means to bring it right to a boil on the stove in a pan then pull it off just as it starts to bubble...stir constantly)

1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter (slightly cooled)

1/4 cup sugar

3-4 cups flour (I used 3 plus a little more until it wasn't too sticky)

1 egg

1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
Dissolve the yeast in the water with 1/2 tsp sugar.  It should start to bubble.

Add the milk, remaining sugar, and flour to make a "batter" (like a pancake batter).  Stir thoroughly.

Add the melted butter, eggs, and salt.

Stir well (or use a mixer...I did this by hand).

Continue to add flour to make a soft dough.

Knead for several minutes to form a ball.

You can put the "ball of dough" in a well-greased bowl but I honestly just use one bowl. I have never had problems with it sticking in the bowl.

Cover and let rise until doubled.  I usually give it about an hour.

Punch it down.

Place the dough on a floured surface.

Roll out into the shape of a rectangle (about 1/2 inch thick).  Then fold the rectangle in half so it is now about an inch thick.  I used my rolling pin to lightly roll it so the seams came together.

Cut the dough into desired shapes.

I followed the advice of the blog author and used a dough cutter to just cut mine into 12 rectangles.

Place the rolls (slightly spaced apart) on a greased baking sheet (I used parchment paper).  Cover and let rise until double in size (30 minutes to an hour).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake for 16-17 minutes until golden brown.

Brush immediately with melted butter and enjoy.

I WILL be making this again...

Happy cooking!

Reba



No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)