Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Butter Dip Biscuits


Okay, I am obviously not a food photographer.

Especially when I have a hungry mass at the table waiting for their dinner.

Then I just grab my phone and click.

Thus the blurriness.

And I really am capable of writing about more than just bread.

But this was good.

I want to remember it.

Plus my nephew said I MUST share this recipe with my mom so she can make it sometime. :)

The ultimate compliment.

Last night I made Amish Chicken (recipe coming soon). I didn't have a lot of time to get some bread together.

So I hit Pinterest.

And I found this recipe.

Easy.

And NO rising time.  In fact, no yeast.

Sold!

So I threw them together.

And hoped for the best.

And that is what I got.

Yum.

Yum. Yum.

I will say that I had a piece warmed up today and I just have to say it again.

Yum.

Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter (I have to admit...I only used half a stick. I just could NOT bring myself to use a whole stick, especially since the chicken dish had a cup of heavy whipping cream in it...)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I did stick with all purpose; I usually do for the first recipe. I would like to try half all purpose, half white whole wheat some time)

4 tsp granulated sugar

4 tsp baking powder

2 tsp Kosher salt (I am guessing you could use regular salt but I highly recommend Kosher for this)

1 3/4 cup buttermilk (I use the Saco powder and add water to equal this amount)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450.  Unless your chicken is baking at 350.  Then you compromise with 400.  :)

Place butter in an 8 x 8 square baking dish OR a cast iron skillet.  I went with the skillet. Stick in the oven as it preheats which will melt the butter.  Or you can do it in the microwave. I just like doing it in the skillet so I don't waste any...

Meanwhile, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and buttermilk.

Use a sharp knife to cut your pieces before baking. (No big deal if you don't...I didn't the next time and they were fine and cut easily)

Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy!

I didn't even add any butter last night after they cooked. I did add a little today...yum!  I think these would be really good with breakfast too (like with jam or jelly).

A very basic bread but with this crusty outside, soft inside, and a bit of sweetness...

YUM!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)