Sunday, June 9, 2013

Burrito Casserole

I almost didn't put a picture on because this sure does not do the dish justice.

I will direct you to the original recipe which has a MUCH nicer picture...just click here.

I saw this on Pinterest one day and thought, "We might have to try this..."

It is similar to another recipe I have made but I like trying new things.

SO glad I did.

Yum.

I wanted to eat the whole thing myself.

At least until I calculated calories.

One serving (more or less) was plenty for my waistline.

Even though my taste buds asked me to go back for more.

What doesn't help at all is that I served it with chips (and for me, guacamole).

Major calories.

But, oh, so good.

By the way, hubby used chips to scoop up the casserole...he really liked the added crunch.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef or turkey (except in our case, we use 1.5 lbs since that is how our meat comes)

1/2 onion, diced

1 package taco seasoning (I actually make my own...will try to post that soon)

6 flour tortillas, torn into pieces

1 can refried beans

2-3 cups sharp cheddar cheese (I used Colby Jack; I think Mexican cheese would be good too)

4 ounces sour cream (I confess, I used 6-8 ounces)

1 can cream of mushroom soup

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350.

Brown the ground beef with the onion in a skillet over medium/medium high heat.

Drain (if needed).

Add the refried beans and the taco seasoning and continue to heat over low/medium heat.

Meanwhile, mix the sour cream and the cream of mushroom soup together in a separate bowl.

Layer in a large casserole dish:
half of the sour cream/soup mixture
half of the torn tortillas
the meat/beans mixture
half of the shredded cheese

Then repeat.

Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes.

Like I said, it was good stuff.

We WILL be having this again.

(I had just enough for one bowl of leftovers which are now gone because I ate them up)

Happy cooking!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)