Friday, January 18, 2013

Pepperoni Roll


We rarely eat pizza "out" these days (though I do miss it like crazy!).

But about once a week, I still get an intense "pizza" craving that must be fixed.

I have grown to love homemade pizza. But I don't always have the time to make the crust or the pizza.

So I love finding quick pizza alternatives.

That is why when I saw THIS recipe on Pinterest, I knew we needed to try it. 

I mean, the base of it is Rhodes dough which we can eat almost any day around here. 

(I just got a Rhodes cookbook for Christmas...as a gift, not a "payment" for praising their products, though that would be nice.  A recipe similar to this is in there also...)

Ingredients:
1 Rhodes bread dough (I used two...I made a pepperoni version and a cheese version), thawed but not risen

olive oil (I didn't measure, I just used what I needed)

pepperoni (size and amount of your choice)

shredded mozzarella cheese

shredded cheddar cheese (if you wish)

Italian seasoning

freshly grated Parmesan

pizza sauce (for dipping)

Directions:
Thaw the Rhodes dough until it is pliable but hasn't started rising yet.

Preheat oven to 375.

Roll the dough out with a rolling pin into a rectangle.  If it is too tough to roll, give it a few more minutes to thaw and "rest".  Then try again.

Brush the dough with olive oil.

Sprinkle Italian seasoning over the olive oil.

Lay the pepperoni (or other toppings of your choice) on the dough.

Sprinkle with mozzarella and/or cheddar cheese.  Then add some Parmesan.

Starting at one of the long sides of the rectangle, roll up the dough like you would for cinnamon rolls.

Place the "log" on a baking sheet.

Brush the top of the "log" with melted butter.

I think I also sprinkled a little garlic salt and some more Parmesan on top but I am not positive.

Place the "log" on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until the roll is a golden brown color.  Make sure the middle is cooked!

Let the roll cool.

Slice and enjoy. (And dip in sauce if you like)

Reba



No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)