Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chicken and Bacon Wild Rice Soup

I really need to take some kind of food photography class.

Of course, the hard part is that I would have to have time to get things just right.

And usually when I make dinner, I have little people chomping at my heels, ready to eat.

Anyway, I made this one cold day last week.

It was everything I had hoped it would be...and more.

I know, you can't tell by looking at the picture.

Just trust me.

Chicken, bacon, half and half, wild rice.

A good hearty meal.  A stick to the ribs kind of meal.  A "I don't think I can eat another bite" kind of meal.

It was all good but I won't lie. The bacon just puts this over the top.  And even thought there wasn't that much bacon in it, the flavor just spread through the "soup" like wildfire.

This is technically a soup though mine was a VERY thick stew. That may be because I threw in some extra rice.  Or maybe it was just the way I cooked it.  Either way, it was thick.  But that didn't stop anyone from eating it.

I found the recipe here.  If I remember correctly, this was not a Pinterest recipe, though I think I have posted it since. It was a recipe I found during a search one night as I thought about chicken and wild rice.

Ingredients:
about 32 oz chicken broth (the original recipe calls for 3 cans but the chicken broth I use comes in large boxes :)

2 cups water

1/2 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed.  (Note:  I totally forgot the "rinsed" part.  Remember that part if you make this.  The "soup/stew" comes out kind of oddly colored otherwise.  Not to mention, with all of the news about tainted rice, it is better to rinse it first.  Another note:  I added about 1 cup of rice just because. I think that is why it was SOOO thick)

1/2 cup finely chopped green onions (I didn't have any. I can't remember if I threw in a little bit of dried onion or not...probably)

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp poultry seasoning (I left this out)

1/8 tsp pepper

2 cups half and half (gives it a VERY rich flavor)

8 slices bacon cooked/crumbled

1 1/2 cups diced or shredded chicken (I actually had some chicken left over from a "crockpot rotisserie" chicken I had made so I used that)

Directions:

In a large saucepan, bring the water and broth to a boil.  Add the rice (and onion if using), cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes until the rice is tender.  There will be extra broth. So don't worry.  That is supposed to be there. :)

In a different saucepan, melt the butter.  Stir in the flour and seasonings.

Cook 1 minute, stirring often until bubbly and smooth.

Gradually stir in the half and half to the butter mixture.  Stir often until it is slightly thickened.

Add the mixture into the large saucepan with the rice.

Add in the chicken and the bacon pieces.

Heat on low for at least half an hour (longer if possible).  Do NOT boil.

Enjoy!

Like I said, it was really good. And it was just as good re-heated.

A perfect winter meal.

Enjoy!
Reba




No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)