Friday, November 25, 2011

Cheese Filled Breadsticks


Our school does a fundraiser through Schwan's on occasion. I don't typically order through Schwan's (though I like their food), but for a fundraiser, I do. One of my favorite Schwan's foods is a frozen crusty French bread. It is delish. This last time I noticed a new item...cheese filled breadsticks. I ordered a box. My family loved them. LOVED them. However, after two meals, they were gone. And we probably won't have a fundraiser again until the spring. (The links are if you are interested in seeing what I am talking about...I am getting NO kickbacks from Schwan's. :)

Anyway, I have been thinking, "Surely I could make some kind of cheese filled breadstick. It may not be the same but cheese and bread, how can you go wrong? So the Google search began.

Cheese Stuffed Garlic Breadsticks

That looked like a good starting point.

However, that recipe involved making a pizza crust dough.

I didn't have enough time for that.

So I just bought some refrigerated pizza crust dough.

And cheese. Mozzarella string cheese.

Add a little butter and some other minor things, and we were ready to go.

They were a hit.

I will be making them again.

I will probably toy with the recipe. I would love to actually make the dough from scratch one day...not pizza crust even. Like real breadstick dough. (We used these as a side dish for our meatballs and gravy) But in a pinch, using the refrigerated dough worked fine.

Ingredients:
1 can refrigerated pizza dough

2 bags of Mozzarella string cheese (I didn't need quite both bags but they don't let you buy one and a half bags at the store. :)

melted butter

1 1/2 tbsp dried Parmesan cheese

1/2 tbsp oregano (I might cut back on that next time)

1/2 tbsp onion powder

1/2 tbsp garlic powder

1 tsp salt

There is also a recipe for a dipping sauce on the original site but we just ate it for bread.

Directions:
Roll out the pizza dough. I rolled it out on a cookie sheet. Then I used a knife cut it in half. I then just took the string cheese and rolled it until it was covered to get an idea what size "rectangle" to use. I pinched the ends, put it on the cookie sheet, and then did the same with the rest.

Does that make sense?

I then brushed them with melted butter and sprinkled with the garlic/Parmesan/oregano/salt topping.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (or until top is golden brown).

Enjoy!

They were yummy.

But then again, it is bread and cheese. How do you really go wrong?

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)