Thursday, April 14, 2011

Buttercream Frosting

Someone at our house has a birthday coming up this weekend. That means it is time for me to get my decorating tips out to attempt to create a cake masterpiece. No, not really. I am not that talented. But if the kids know what I am attempting, then I have done my job.

I know it would be a LOT easier if I would just go buy a cake. Probably a lot nicer looking too. But I have a confession. I am a frosting snob. Completely. I blame it on my mom. She always made our cakes and used buttercream frosting. After having that, I have yet to find another frosting that comes close.

I have gotten smart enough to know now to make the frosting a day before the cake. Decorating takes long enough without mixing up the frosting too.

So that was my night.

It always takes longer than I think it will. But I treated myself with licking one of the beaters from the mixer so I can't complain too much.

Here is the buttercream frosting I use which is probably a lot like other buttercream frostings. Even if you don't have a cake to decorate, make some sometime and spread it on graham crackers. Yum.

Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp milk

Directions:
Cream margarine and shortening using mixer.

Add vanilla.
Here is a pic of my favorite sifter. I have tried others including one that involved me pressing on a lever (and hurt my fingers after just a few minutes) and a battery operated one that died after about the second time I used it. This one is easy and quick. Love it.

Anyway, add sifted powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Mix (I would use a lower speed for this part because the powdered sugar will fly everywhere otherwise!).

Add milk then beat on high until light and fluffy. Sometimes I add a little more milk if it isn't creamy enough.

When you are done, you will have a big bowl of this: (note: Pic is a small bowl...I had already divided it)

The fun part with buttercream is that you can make just about any color you want...
Just remember that the colors will darken over time.

My advice: If you have cooking/food prep gloves, wear them. I used ziplocks to cover my hand, but somehow the colors find me anyway...


It is hard to believe all of that will hopefully make a Buzz Lightyear...time will tell.

Oh, and one MAIN direction. Always take time to lick the beater. Life is short. Live it to the fullest.

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)