Sunday, December 9, 2012

Cole Slaw

Yes, another post. Two in one weekend!

Yesterday we had Child 1's birthday celebration. I made Chuck Roast Barbecue.  We had chips for a side. But I was really craving some cole slaw.  So I thought, "Why not?" Cole slaw and barbecue go together.  Even in December.

I have never made Cole Slaw other than using a bagged slaw and a nice slaw dressing, all pre-made.

However, with some diet changes in our household, buying the jar of dressing was a big no-no.

What to do, what to do.

I went to a message board and found a recipe that I thought would work. And it seemed simple. Plus it fit our diet restrictions.

Please know when I say diet, I am not referring to losing weight. I am referring to avoiding certain foods due to reactions. :)

I say that because once you will see the recipe you will wonder what kind of diet we are on. It is not low calorie, though I did calculate them and it wasn't horrible.  The bun for my Chuck Roast was actually higher.

Anyway, here is the recipe with my modifications.

Ingredients:
1 bag of shredded cabbage/carrots (A slaw mix but no dressing).  You could also shred your own but I didn't need any extra chores.

1 Tbsp minced onion (I cheated and used dried minced onion)

1/3 cup white sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp black pepper

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup sour cream

2Tbsp vinegar (I just used white distilled)

2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice

Directions:
Place cabbage, carrots, and onion in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients until smooth.

Pour over the cabbage mixture.  Chill in the fridge until time to serve it.

The original recipe was actually double of all of the sauce ingredients and that is how I made it. Then I ended up pouring off a LOT of the dressing. So I would definitely halve it (what you see above) next time.  It is probably because I didn't use a whole head of cabbage but rather the bagged stuff.

Either way, it was good. In fact, it was one of my favorite slaws I have ever tasted.

I will be making this again...

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)