Friday, July 27, 2012

Korean Beef




Yes.

I admit it.

It is another Pinterest recipe.

I saw it not long ago and have wanted to make it from the day I saw it.

I could almost taste it.

Beef, brown sugar, and soy. How could I go wrong?

So finally, tonight I made it.  Korean Beef.

First of all, it is an EASY meal.  And quick. (Quick is less than 30 minutes to me)  And best of all, it was yummy.

A HUGE hit with the family.

Well, most of them.

A couple picky eaters picked at it.

But the rest of us chowed down.

Think "Mongolian Beef" in a cheaper and easier form.

I can say that with all honesty because we have made P. F. Chang's Mongolian Beef before.  And it was good. But it also was rather pricey (flank steak is NOT cheap right now) and fairly time consuming.

This recipe uses ground beef and takes less than 30 minutes.  Yet it tastes very similar to Mongolian Beef.

I will definitely be making this again.

Ingredients:
1 to 1.5 lbs ground beef, browned (The original recipe calls for 1 pound but our "half a cow" beef is in 1.5 lb packages so that is what I use)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup soy sauce (I think next time I would even double that)

1 Tbsp sesame oil (pricey but it is worth the flavor and can be used with several recipes)

 3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced

1/2 -1 tsp crushed red peppers

salt and pepper to taste

1 bunch green onions, diced

Directions:
Okay, I messed up the directions just a little...

You are SUPPOSED to brown the ground beef in a skillet with the garlic and sesame oil.

I totally missed that part.

I just browned the meat like normal and drained it.

THEN I added the other ingredients except for the green onions.

And I let it simmer while I finished up the other parts of the meal.

Before serving, top with the green onions.

We ate it over basmati rice and with a roll with honey butter.  I would have served some veggies/dips too but we are out. 

And that is it.

Like I said, very easy.  Very quick. And very yummy.

More soon,
Reba

1 comment:

Food for Thought (Comments)