Monday, July 16, 2012

Double Fudge Brownies

I wonder if they have classes in how to photograph food?  People I can somewhat photograph with success.  Food, not so much.

Anyway, there won't be a weekly menu because I am visiting my sister in Kansas with the girls who are attending camp here.  So I am off cooking duty for much of the week.  And who knows what I will make when I get home. :)

I did stick to last week's schedule for the most part. We did have one impromptu sushi night (a date at home) so I never made the roast. But otherwise I stuck to it.

Saturday night we had grilled steak (marinade recipe coming soon). The kids have been begging for a dessert. I had one in mind but when I went to make it, we were missing some key ingredients. Bummer.

So I pulled out my handy dandy cookbook.  It is a family recipe cookbook.

And I searched for a dessert that I did have a recipe for.

I came upon a recipe from my Aunt S. from Indiana.

Double Fudge Brownies.

That sounded good.

And even better, I had all of the ingredients!

And they were good.

Too good.

It is a good thing I left town the next day because the leftovers would have been a HUGE temptation for me.  I am sure my boys will polish them off while I am gone.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup margarine (I used unsalted butter)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 oz...I would love to try these with dark chocolate chips too)
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup nuts (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together.  Set aside.

In a small saucepan or a 4 cup measuring cup, combine margarine/butter, sugar, and water.  Bring just to a boil.  (I did mine in the microwave because my pots were all dirty from our dinner)

Add chocolate chips and vanilla.

Stir well until chocolate melts, and the mixture is smooth.

Transfer to a large bowl.  Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.  (I just used my mixer)

Gradually blend in flour mixture.

Add in nuts if desired...I didn't at this point. My crew is about half and half on who likes nuts. So I waited until I had put the mixture in the baking dish.  Then I sprinkled nuts on half of the mixture, so we had some with and some without.

Spread into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.

Bake for 50 minutes.

Cool.

I served them with vanilla ice cream on the side.

Yum.

A nice sweet way to end our day!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)