Sunday, February 12, 2012

Creamy White Chili


I have to admit, I am really self-conscious about food photos now after someone wrote something hurtful about one of my pictures that showed up on Pinterest. (The food was good but it really wasn't a good picture of it) I am just not a professional food photographer. I really am not. My kitchen doesn't have the greatest lighting for taking food photos. And honestly I don't have the time to try to stage it better. So I guess I either can go no pictures or just poorly taken pics.

Like this one.

This pic does NOT do this meal justice.

Last year my mom kept talking about this white chili recipe.

I was even going to make it once but then never did.

Then we went to my parents' house for the Super Bowl, and my mom made this creamy white chili she had talked about.

I calculated the calories and quickly figured out that with all of the other food there, I could only have a very small serving. More like a fourth of a serving.

And it was delicious.

Better than I ever imagined.

I may or may not have licked the bowl afterward.

By the way, the whole "chili" thing in the name really threw me because that is what I had in mind (chili beans), but honestly this is more like a creamy chicken soup with a little pizzazz.

Nothing like chili.

Anyway, tonight I decided I would make it and enjoy every bite. I had eaten very light all day, saving up the calories.

And I did. Enjoy every bite that is.

I had to use a lot of self-control not to finish up the little bit that was left.

I WILL be making this again.

Soon.

Oh, and my family was skeptical when I told them the name (the whole "chili" thing I think) but they enjoyed it too.

So this is the recipe my mom gave to me. I am not totally positive where she got it. :)

Oh, don't let the list of ingredients intimidate you. It really isn't as complex as it looks. More like "a little of this, a little of that..."

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (as usual, I used tenderloins, and mine was just cut into small pieces. No "cubes" for me :)

1 medium onion chopped (I never know what a "medium onion" is...I used a white onion and cut it in half then chopped that half. That was plenty for us)

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tbsp canola oil (I just used my blend I always use)

2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained

2 cans chopped green chilies (I only used one...these are the little 4 oz cans)

1 can chicken broth (I do use the 99% fat free)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp ground cumin (except I was out of cumin...it is now on my Grocery IQ app to get)

1 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 cup sour cream (we used light)

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:
In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, garlic powder, and chopped onion in the canola oil until the chicken is no longer pink.

Add the beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer on the stove, uncovered for 30 minutes.

If you would rather make this with a crockpot, put the ingredients in the crockpot on high for an hour, then reduce heat to low for several hours. I am guessing you would go ahead and saute first. I didn't make this one in the crockpot this time, so I am not totally sure.

Remove from heat. Add sour cream and heavy whipping cream.

Stir.

Enjoy.

We just ate ours with French baguette on the side.

I really can't explain it but it has this taste.

I really think it is the heavy whipping cream that I like.

Maybe I should go finish off the leftovers...

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)