Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Calzones


For a while, I was finding recipes on Pinterest like crazy. I still do, but not as rapid as I once did...probably because I already "pinned" so many. Anyway, about the same time I "pinned" the braided spaghetti bread, I found another picture to "pin" for a calzone that looked very similar to the braided spaghetti bread.

Ironically, the first time we ate the braided spaghetti bread, one of the first comments my dear hubby made was "Wouldn't a calzone made like this be good?"

It was fate.

Or something like that.

Anyway, I knew that it had to appear on the menu.

And tonight it did.

I went to the calzone website (seen above) to get an idea but in the end, I kind of followed the braided spaghetti bread recipe. Just in a calzone sort of way. Actually, I made two calzones tonight.

I haven't found many pizza crusts I just love, so I used my now favorite Rhodes white bread loaf (frozen section) instead. Or in this case, I used two. The handy thing is that three come to a package.

I put the loaves out this morning in a bread pan that was lightly coated with cooking spray. I covered it with clear wrap. And by the time I got home this afternoon, they had grown (risen) and were twice the size as they were when I left them. :)

I rolled the dough out on some parchment paper. Then I let it sit for a few.

I did learn today that cutting the sides (like with the spaghetti bread recipe) is MUCH easier to do before adding the toppings.

I just cut "strips" (like fringe) about every inch or so. The slits were maybe two inches deep.

I just made sure to leave a nice midsection for toppings.

Next, I spread pizza sauce on that midsection. My new favorite is Contadina Squeezables. It is awesome for dipping; I love the flavor. So I used it.

Oh yeah, not getting ANY kickbacks from Rhodes or Contadina. I just really like both products.

Next the toppings.

I made one a "meat" calzone with pepperoni, Canadian bacon, and Italian sausage (browned). Then I threw on some Mozzarella and Cheddar. (I just used an 8 oz. block and cut it it into cubes; then I spread the cheese out among the midsection of one of the bread loaves.

The other calzone I made was more of a cheese. I had one half cheese, one half cheese and turkey pepperoni.

Oh, and I sprinkled Italian seasoning on both.

I then crisscrossed the strips, stretching them over to the other side. It looks a lot like a mummy when finished.

I took an egg white and brushed it over the "mummy". I then sprinkled garlic powder, parsley, and Parmesan cheese (shredded) over the top.

Then baked at for about 30 minutes at 350.

We had extra sauce on the table for dipping if needed.

I personally could have eaten the whole thing by myself.

But due to this whole watching my calories thing I didn't.

I will just say I am looking forward to having some more for lunch tomorrow.

The only changes I would make would be to add feta to the "cheese/pepperoni" version. And I would make just a pepperoni one for the boys. Apparently hubby isn't a big fan of Canadian bacon, and the Italian sausage was "just okay" according to him.

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.

Yum.

Reba

1 comment:

  1. This looks so Yummy! Thanks for sharing it with Six Sister's Stuff Link Party. We hope to see you again next Saturday!
    -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Food for Thought (Comments)