Thursday, July 7, 2011

Strawberry Refrigerator Sheet Cake

Okay, confession. I call it "poke" cake though I know there is a real "poke" cake out there nothing like this. But when you see the directions, you will understand where I am coming from. There is a method to my madness.

Anyway, this is a family favorite, though I don't make it too often (maybe because I know I will eat it). The recipe comes from my mom.

Ingredients:
1 package yellow cake mix (since I was making this for a Fourth of July celebration, I used white)
1 package strawberry gelatin
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water

Topping Ingredients:
1 vanilla instant pudding and pie fill mix (4 serving size)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cold milk
1 8oz container Cool Whip, thawed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Dissolve gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Add 1/2 cup cold water. Set aside at room temperature.

Mix and bake cake as directed in a 13x9x2 inch pan. Cool cake 20-25 minutes. Poke deep holes through the top of the warm cake (still in pan) with a meat fork or a toothpick. Space holes about one inch apart. With a cup (I actually found a baster easier to use), slowly pour gelatin mixture into holes. Refrigerate cake while preparing topping.

Combine pudding mix, sugar, and milk in a small bowl. Beat slowly with electric mixer until well blended, about 1 minute. Fold in whipped topping. Spread on cake at once. Refrigerate.

I decided to add some colored sugars to go with the patriotic theme. Normally I would just serve it plain.

My kids LOVE this cake.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)