Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Robert's Brownies My Way


I honestly don't know who Robert is. I found this recipe on my friend Beth's blog. All I had to see was "dark chocolate" and "brownies" and I knew I must make them. And I am so glad I did (though when I put on clothes the next day, I wish I hadn't...).

Robert's Bro*wnies My Way" is what they are called:

Ingredients:
6 tbs unsalted butter (I try to always use unsalted butter)
8 oz bittersweet chocolate with 70% cacao (I had about 7 ounces of the 70%, so I had to add a little that was less, like 63%...either way, it is quite a bit of chocolate!)
1 "scant" cup ( just less than one cup) sugar (6.5 oz)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional...I don't think you can ever go wrong with vanilla)
2 large eggs (cold)
1/3 cup plus 1 tbs unbleached flour (I just used some regular flour; it worked))
1 cup nuts (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Okay, I forgot that part, but it worked anyway.

Melt the butter and chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl set directly in a skillet of barely simmering water. (I actually used a double broiler sitting on a saucepan of hot water on the stovetop.) Stir frequently until the mixture is melted and smooth and fairly hot to the touch.

Remove the bowl from the water. Stir in the sugar, salt and vanilla. Add one egg stirring until it is mixed in, then the other egg until mixed in. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon or spatula until the batter is smooth and glossy and comes away from the side of the pan; it is critical that the batter pulls itself together, so don't stop mixing until it does. Stir in the nuts, if using. (Because only a couple of us will eat nuts, I just sprinkled nuts over half the batter once in the pan and kept the other half "smooth".) Scrape the batter into the pan.

Spread the batter evenly in a greased 8 x 8 pan (or you can line the pan with aluminum foil) and make some ridges to make it look better and create texture in the top crust. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (30 for gooey and 35 for chewy), until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs but not totally gooey.

Cool on rack.

Cut and enjoy!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)