Monday, May 23, 2011

Skillet Pork Chops


Here is a family favorite...easy and pretty filling. This recipe comes from my mom. It is kind of a comfort food. Skillet Pork Chops. I am sure you could do something similar with chicken. We just have so many chicken recipes that if I can get a recipe for something different, I use it. Plus, I have always just eaten this with pork chops.

Skillet Pork Chops
Ingredients:
4 pork chops (I use six, and I do use the thin breakfast kind because they cook faster)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp flour (I double up since I am using more pork chops...)
1/4 tsp sage (I do 1/2)
1/4 tsp thyme (I do 1/2)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use light)
1/2 cup water (I just fill the soup can with water)

Directions:
Rinse the pork chops. You are supposed to use the whole pork chop but about a year or two ago, my husband started cutting them up into "nugget size" or chunks. We just do it all of the time now.

Combine the flour, sage, and thyme and coat the pork chops with the mixture. I just throw it all in a gallon ziplock and shake away. This will NOT be a thick coat.

Brown the pork chops in a skillet in the oil. When both sides are brown, add the soup and water. (My original recipe calls for moving the pork to the side and adding the soup in the middle but I have no room to move the chops. I just pour it all together). Stir together.

Cover the skillet. (Oops, forgot to do that tonight :)

Simmer until tender.

Very good served over rice.

We had it with mashed potatoes (a microwave kind was all I could manage), salad, and bread. I usually do black eye peas too but we were out. But my son out of the blue said, "This would taste so good with rice..." And I don't think he had read the recipe.

Anyway, that is all there is to it. It takes less than thirty minutes which is my criteria for "quick". And it involves few steps, thus "easy". And it makes my tummy happy, so I say "delicious".

Enjoy!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)