Thursday, April 11, 2013

Honey Yeast Rolls

I just made these for the third or fourth time and have yet to actually blog about them.

Tonight is the night.

If I can keep from falling asleep anyway.

Not that I bore myself.

I am just in a state of fatigue all of the time this week.

Tonight we ate Korean Beef over rice, a family favorite.

A few Korean Beefs ago, I discovered a recipe for honey yeast rolls.

That seemed like the perfect match for this dish.

And it was.

The first time I made them, they were a little heavy.

I am still not sure what I did wrong.

The next time they were better.

And tonight they were even better.

I guess I am finally figuring it out.

My kids actually cheer when I make these...

2 1/4 tsp instant yeast

1 cup warm water (not too hot, not too cold)

1/4 cup honey

3 Tbsp canola oil (I used olive today)

1 1/4 tsp salt

1 egg, lightly beaten (unless you are like me and just throw the raw egg into the dough mixture)

3 to 4 cups bread flour (I used 3 1/2 today)

2 Tbsp melted butter (topping)

2 Tbsp honey (topping)

Combine the yeast and warm water.

I let it sit for just a minute. Usually I wait five minutes but I was crunched for time today.

Add in the honey, oil, salt, and egg. 

You can do all of this with an electric mixer.

If you know me at all, you know I just knead/mix by hand.  Wearing a rubber glove.

Add in the flour a cup at a time.

At about three cups, it was almost right.  I added about 1/2 cup more.

It will still be a slightly sticky dough at this point.

When it is kneaded thoroughly, cover and let rise for 2 hours.

Unless you are crunched for time like I was today.

Then you stick it in the oven (on warm) and let it rise for an hour or so.

Once it has doubled in size (or close to it in my rush this afternoon), knead the dough.

Ideally, you would let it rest for 10 minutes.

Unless you are trying to beat the dinner deadline.

Then you would just go ahead and divide it into about 12 portions and roll into balls.

Which is obviously what I did.

Grease a round pan (9 or 10 inch). 

Place the balls in the pan.

Let rise covered for 20-30 minutes.

I put them on top of my stove (while I cooked some other things) and went ahead and preheated the oven to 400 to give a little warmth.

Brush with the butter/honey and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Let cool slightly before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)