Friday, May 24, 2013

Skillet Rolls

The other day, when I was making fried chicken, I wanted some sort of bread to go with it.  I have several roll recipes I love but they take a while to rise (twice).  So I did a little Internet search.  I started in one spot and ended up right here. 

Rapid Rise Rolls.

Exactly what I need.

So I made them.

And ate them.

And loved every bite.

Ingredients:
Note: This is the original recipe.  When I made this, I cut the recipe in half.  I LOVE rolls but I didn't need 24. :)

1 Tbsp plus 1/2 tsp yeast

1 3/4 cup warm water

1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup melted butter

2 tsp salt

2 large eggs, beaten

4-6 cups all purpose flour

Directions:
Place sugar and yeast in a bowl with warm water.  Mix together and let sit for 5-10 minutes.  It should get bubbly. :)

Stir in the honey.  (You can use a mixer for this; the original recipe is for a mixer. I do it all by hand...)

Add in the butter, eggs, and salt.

Slowly add in the flour, a cup at a time.  Continue adding and kneading until the dough pulls away from the bowl and is not too sticky.

Rolls into 24 balls.  (Or in my case 12)

Place in a greased iron cast skillet.  You can also make these on a cookie sheet, though I haven't tried that.

Cover and let rise about 20 minutes or until doubled in size. I think mine took longer than that but I wasn't in a hurry that day. I just waited a while before checking on them.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Brush the risen rolls with melted butter.

Bake for 25 minutes or so.

Brush with more melted butter once you remove them from the oven.

They were really good. And even better, they only require one "rise" which definitely cuts back on time.

We WILL be having these again!

Reba





No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)