Sunday, February 27, 2011

Filled Cupcakes

One time last year, Lauren and I decided to cook something together for a little "Mommy/Daughter" time. I gave her some cookbooks and let her choose the recipe. True to her sweet tooth, she chose a cupcake recipe. Tonight she asked to make them again (with a little supervision by me). So I thought I would share with you. It is a very kid friendly recipe. It actually comes from the Better Homes and Garden New Junior Cook Book published in 1979. I used it when I was a little girl if that tells you anything. Just goes to show that maybe some recipes are timeless...

Anyway, here is the recipe and a few pictures to go with it...

Turn oven to 375 degrees. I did that part.

Line a 12 muffin pan with liners.

In a small bowl, stir in 3 oz. cream cheese (I used light and "whipped" in the plastic container...it is much easier to stir), 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/2 tsp vanilla until mixed. You can also add in 2 tbsp nuts, but Lauren opts out of those.

In another bowl, mix 2/3 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened), and 1 tsp baking powder.

In yet another bowl (my one complaint...lots more dirty dishes as if we didn't have enough :), cream 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup softened butter until fluffy. Stir in one egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla until mixed.

Stir about half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Then slowly stir in 1/2 cup milk. Stir in the rest of the flour mixture until smooth.

Spoon in about 1 tbsp batter into each baking cup...we used that handy cookie scooper again that I used with the pumpkin muffins (after it had been washed of course). Then add about 1 tsp of the cream cheese mixture to each. Finish filling with batter.

Put pan into oven. Bake for 20 minutes. We checked ours with a toothpick then took them out to cool a little.
I am kind of a frosting snob. And if it hadn't been such a very crazy day, I might have made my favorite buttercream frosting (that recipe will come around someone's birthday more than likely). But as it was, time was limited. So I just used some of my frosting bags and larger tip and filled them with whipped white frosting and whipped chocolate frosting from a can. It is not the same but the kids don't really care. And it didn't stop me from eating one. :) The kids then decorated them. I also put out some chocolate chips and marshmallows. Hunter even added a chocolate covered pretzel to his. We apparently watch way too many episodes of Cupcake Wars around here. :)
(That is Maria's creation...)

Then eat and enjoy!

It really is a kid friendly recipe since the oven is the only appliance used. And we had several discussions about measurement and directions. Lauren is even able to crack the egg herself now. Not to mention, they are pretty tasty. :) (Cupcakes are a rare treat around here)

Happy cooking!
Reba

1 comment:

  1. You bet you can link me, if I can link you! Now I just have to figure out how to add that. haha!

    ReplyDelete

Food for Thought (Comments)